The Racing Post takes seriously its commitment to responsible gambling and to encouraging people to stay within their limits and stay in control.
We would like to remind all readers that gambling should be regarded as an enjoyable recreational pastime, not as a means of making a living.
If you feel you may have a problem with your gambling, ask yourself these questions:
- Do you stay away from work or college to gamble?
- Do you gamble to escape from a boring or unhappy life?
- Do you gamble until all your money is gone?
- Have you ever lied to cover up the amount you have gambled?
- Have others ever criticised your gambling?
- Have you lied, stolen or borrowed to get money to gamble?
- Have you lost interest in your family, friends or hobbies?
- After losing, do you feel you must try to win back your losses?
- Do you feel depressed because of your gambling?
If you are concerned about your gambling, or are concerned that you have a gambling problem, take this quiz on the GambleAware website to understand more.
- Gamble only money you can afford to lose - money you set aside for entertainment
- Never use money you need for important things like bills or food.
- Don’t try to get money back by betting more and chasing losses.
- Set a limit on how much you are prepared to lose.
- Set a time limit on how much time you want to spend gambling.
- Never put gambling before friends or family.
- Gambling is fun and not a way of making money.
- Don’t gamble if you are angry, upset or depressed.
- Don’t drink or take drugs when gambling.
If you find yourself breaking any of these rules then please seek help and advice. A good place to start is by contacting the organisations Gamcare (in Britain) or Dunlewey (in Ireland).
Gamcare can be contacted at www.gamcare.org.uk and 0808 8020 133
Or Dunlewey at dunlewey.net and 1800 936 725 (RoI) or 08000 886 725 (NI)
The Racing Post supports the work of Gamcare and Dunlewey to ensure having a bet remains a positive experience for all our customers.
We promote this message through our editorial and marketing on all our platforms, print and digital, and adopt stringent rules to ensure advertisers follow the correct guidelines.
A list of additional organisations that can offer support can be found here